With the cool, crisp air of fall upon us it’s time to whip out the hearty comfort food. This recipe for quinoa and mushroom vegetarian chili is the perfect companion to a a chilly autumn day!
Quinoa and Mushroom Vegetarian Chili
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked simmered with 1 cup water)
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Devo Wild Mushroom and Sage extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced (I use a mix of baby bella and shiitake)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (or you can used diced)
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used one dark red, one light red)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Toppings: shredded cheese, chopped green onions, and sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms and saute until tender, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- After cooking quinoa to your liking (I boil for 5 minutes then cover and let sit for 15), fluff with a fork and add 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, cooked quinoa, vegetable broth, green chiles, and all spices.
- Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and stir in all the beans.
- Cover pot and allow to simmer on low 30 minutes.
- Serve with toppings like green onions, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
Recipe and photo provided by Nicole at For The Love of Food.